Monday, November 26, 2012

Be Impressed: Interview with Stylist Bryant Hendrix


Bryant Hendrix, well known for his versatility in styling and dapper appearances, took the time to answer a few questions that I had the privilege of asking. Below is our conversation of his big break in the fashion and style industry.


GG: Please tell The Glammed Griot readers a little bit about your story and how you got into fashion styling.

BH: I have been known for a long time as a painter/ visual artist. As a child I grew up in a creative family and also the city of Chicago. As a result I was infused with a lot of art from sewing/drawing/painting/graffiti…ect. I became known for my styling when I began dressing my friends and family in college. I also continued to do small shows in the city of Indianapolis and Chicago thus showcasing my Graffiti blazers and other outerwear. 
  
GG: What made you want to become a stylist? How did you get your start?

BH: In a way we are all stylists. I became a stylist when I began to be asked to do shows as a stylist and in return receiving positive feedback from the perspective buyers. I also enjoyed being respected for my style point of view.

GG: I know by personal experience that the fashion industry is a tough business to break into. What was your big break?

BH: My big break was doing shows for a number of Gay pride organizations. These shows I was able to style and also network with a few celebrity hosts. As a result, I was asked to continue being the lead stylist and coordinator for 3 years until I started working with Mode Magazine and other style organizations in Chicago and Indianapolis.

GG: What is your typical day?
BH: My typical day is checking my email and also looking at press releases of upcoming shows and events. I also love to blog about my current style aesthetic. I am at the moment sketching deconstructions and one of a kind pieces that will be launching with my sister in the upcoming months.

GG: What are the basic guidelines when styling someone?

BH: The guidelines I have when styling someone is to be a blank canvas. Most of the models in this industry have no idea what that means: *groomed face and body *Hair must be prepped to style *Spanx and other (black/white/nude) undergarments *last but not least any personal items or prop…

GG: There must be a basic style you work with, something that's makes your styling unique. How would you describe this basic preparation?

BH: My personal style is “Urban Leave it to Beaver.” I note my style as classic meets urban America. I always want my heritage to show in my work because I believe African American has been a major influence in history and todays latest trends. Thus I love the urban eclectic placing of some garments that makes a person say… I" know a black person styled her or him."

GG: Is there one look or outfit that you styled that you would consider your most favorite?

BH: My favorite look is I deconstructed and 70’s shift dress into a one of a kind balloon dress and paired it with a cargo belt and vintage Gucci bag worn by one of my favorite models Shanna Wilson.

GG: What’s the biggest challenge when styling someone?

BH: The Biggest challenge when styling someone is not taking them too far out of their comfort zone. I think when working with a stylist a person should know that they are going to be given a few looks that is different than what they would pick for themselves.


GG: Name your three favorite shopping destinations.
 
BH: GOODWILL, H&M, RAGSTOCK
 
 
GG: Any future projects you want to plug or share with our readers?
 
 
BH: Me and my sister Ramekia Hendrix will be produing a line of couture that will be showcased throughout the Midwest... look out for outrageous cocktail dresses and one of a kind pieces.
Also, Mode Magazine will is going back into press and I will be continuing my role as the fashion editor and also street spotter in the city of Atlanta.

GG: What would be your advice to someone starting out in the fashion industry?

BH: This is the statement that helped me “Accept What God Allows.”
Thus if this is what you think God spoke into your life walk in it and make it happen. It is yours just reach up and get it…


GG: How can we find your work?


BH: Portfolio and booking is also on BNPRESSED blog
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! It was an awesome Interview... From a great person...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank both of you guys so much! I love the support! It was an honor, B. Looking forward to seeing your creations very soon!

    ReplyDelete